University Crest

[wlug] Tonight's meeting

Daniel Lawson daniel@m...
Mon Feb 24 12:23:02 NZDT 2003

So there is a lot of confusion about what is happening tonight.

The presentation on Linux on the Desktop, and the talk by Andrew of
Yoper Linux, has been pushed back a month.

The substitute topic suggested was 'Linux Advocacy' - which is a fairly
broad topic, and some people don't seem interested in this.

I'd like to suggest that people don't let the topic (or seemingly lack
thereof) turn them away from tonights meeting. We need to discuss some
formal Society stuff, so there will be a committee meeting - I expect
all committee members to be there.

As well as that, we need to discuss the direction of the LUG this year.
This could include:

* Any topics of linux / {Free, Open Source} software advocacy we wish to
pursue during the year. Installfest? Open Source Software CD  (WellyLUG
is doing this with DSE already I think)

* Suggestions for meeting presentations, and format of meetings.

* Suggestions for other club activities.

And if anyone else has anything at all they wish to talk about, brag
about, show off, whatever, then please do so!

On the topic of meeting topics - it has been expressed in the past that
the topics for our meetings seem limited to network / system
administration tasks. This is primarily because the people who are
willing to put forward content for meetings are interested in those
tasks. The other meetings we have had - Source based linux systems -
Gentoo (Craig Box), Regular Expressions in perl (Perry Lorier), Digital
Libraries - Greenstone (Ian Witten and the DL Group, University of
Waikato) and so on, have all gone down really well.

If anyone has anything at all they wish to present on, suggest it! All
topics are welcome, as long as they fit within our charter - related to
Linux (and the BSDs, and other free OSs) or to Free or Open Source
Software.  If you have something you want to learn about, and no one
else knows about it, it's a great chance to learn up on it yourself and
then present back to the LUG.

I hope to see you all tonight.