University Crest

[wlug] Printer drivers with samba

John R. McPherson jrm21@c...
Fri Jan 24 11:42:33 NZDT 2003

Daniel Lawson wrote:

> >The best reference I've found about setting this up is in this article
> >about creating a Print to PDF Service with Samba:
> >
> >http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue72/bright.html
> >

> This looks like a good article. I ran a quick test of ps2pdf, and
> visibly (in acroread) the output pdf looks a lot worse - it prints fine
> however. Does anyone have any experience with ps2pdf or other
> equivalents?  I've used it a bit, but never been overly concerned with
> how it looks.

Unfortunately I know more about ps/pdf than I care to.

ps2pdf is a wrapper to ghostscript. Basically it just calls gs with
the output device set to "pdfwrite". The pdf format has 14 built-in
standard fonts, like Times, Arial, etc. If the postscript file
is using different fonts, then gs has to either embed the font into
the pdf, or turn it into bitmaps (ie pictures of characters).

If it creates bitmap fonts, it typically looks terrible in acroread
but barely noticeable if you use "gv" to view it (as gv also uses
ghostscript for rendering).

I think newer versions of gs are better - version 5.50 was widely
used but 6.x releases are out now with much improved pdf support.
(I think it is smarter in mapping fonts to the standard fonts).

Well, I managed to sum it up without mentioning Type1, PostScript
and Type3 fonts :)

John