University Crest

[wlug] Newbie needing help starting

Greig McGill greig@h...
Thu Jan 30 11:31:16 NZDT 2003

> Hi, I feel like this tiny little ant trying to talk to you experts
> (elephants), so I hope you can here me way up there.

Who are you calling an elephant? :P

> I have got red hat 8.0 and put it on my machine. that was a piece of
> cake, but how do i install downloaded programs from the net into it.
>  the read mes say run the compile and the install-sh and i get all
> muddled up.  can someone expain it all or point me to the correct place
> to read up on this stuff.  I'd like to be gone with Windows!

OK...that's a seriously huge question you're asking there.
You are correct, there is no "setup.exe" or single magic method of
installing software.  With Redhat, if you can find an RPM of your
software, then you can download it, and install it with "su -c 'rpm -Uvh
packagename-version.arch.rpm" - you will be prompted for the root password
(installing software must be done as root, hence the "su -c", which means
"run the command in ''s as the superuser).  And that's all there should be
to that - unless you have dependencies, but we won't go there.

If you are installing commercial software, or software that you build from
source, things will be different, and you MUST read the docs - much as we
all love linux, it does not hold your hand, get used to reading
documentation.  Install methods that are not "package managed" by the
likes of RPM, or debian's apt all have their own methods of installation -
what is important is *understanding* what is going on.  Read, read, and
read some more.

As usual, start with http://rute.sourceforge.net and follow your nose! :)

Regards,

--