University Crest

[wlug] DVI 1600x1200 under Linux

Jamie Curtis jamie@p...
Tue Mar 11 15:41:13 NZDT 2003

Hi there,

I'm trying to find a new video card to do 1600x1200 on a DVI port that is
well supported under Linux.

I tried (at the suppliers advice) a Matrox G550, which is a really nice
little card for what I want, except like 99% of cards out there with DVI
ports on them, it only supports 1280x1024 in digital mode out of the DVI.
If you run it in Analog VGA mode, it can obviously run 1600x1200 and much
higher, but you get some ghosting and lose the real crispness that you get
on DVI ports.

My boss has a Parhilia, which is not working at all well for him. The
Linux drivers have some major issues with both 1600x1200 DVI and Dual
Head, plus the drivers are binary only.

I am not at all concerned about 3d performance, this is for a work machine
that is used 100% of the time in Linux, only using 2d X apps.

An ideal card would be a card that had no fans (just something else to
make noise and go wrong) and working open source X11 drivers that does
1600x1200 on a DVI port, with an optional second vga or dvi head.

Unfortunatly I think that an nvidia card may turn out to be the only
option, and they fail on the fans and lack of nice OS drivers.

Does anyone have any suggestions ?

Also, it's probably worth noting that unless you have a card working at
1600x1200 DVI or you can find a manafacturer page that explicitly mentions
1600x1200 DVI, it probably doesn't support it.

Cheers,

Jamie