University Crest

[wlug] DVI 1600x1200 under Linux

Jamie Curtis jamie@p...
Tue Mar 11 17:18:59 NZDT 2003

On Tue, 11 Mar 2003, Matthew Browne (DSL HN) wrote:

> I believe both NVidia and ATI cards do 1600x1200 on DVI but avoid
> the Radeon 7500 like the plague as it apparently does some kind of
> weird interpolation and is blurry. I'm almost certain the
> GeForce 4Ti's and Radeon 8500/9700 do it at that rez and nice and
> crisp too but each third party card may very of course. As to
> Linux drivers Matthias may have some thoughts as he's used both.

I have just been doing exactly that,

I think I may have found the perfect card !

http://www.cptech.com.tw/powercolor/web/product_inside.asp?prd_id=Radeon9000ValueEdition#

It's a Radeon 9000, 64Mb DDR

According to the Powercolor site it supports 1600x1200 DVI, XFree86 4.3.0
supports it (there will be some upgrades to Debian Woody required), and it
has no fan.

Plus, it is worth the amazingly cheep amount of $186.74 from Ascent.

Aparently it performs about the same as a GeForce 4 MX 440 in 3d, which
doesn't concern me at all, but it kinda suprised me as the Radeon runs
with no fan.

Anyone had any experiances with this or something similar ?

Jamie