University Crest

[wlug] DVI 1600x1200 under Linux

Matthew Browne (DSL HN) MatthewBr@d...
Wed Mar 12 08:52:24 NZDT 2003

> From: Jamie Curtis [mailto:jamie@p...]
>
> I have just been doing exactly that,
>
> I think I may have found the perfect card !

http://www.cptech.com.tw/powercolor/web/product_inside.asp?prd_id=Radeon9000
ValueEdition#

> It's a Radeon 9000, 64Mb DDR
>
> According to the Powercolor site it supports 1600x1200 DVI, XFree86 4.3.0
> supports it (there will be some upgrades to Debian Woody required), and it
> has no fan.
>
> Plus, it is worth the amazingly cheep amount of $186.74 from Ascent.
>
> Aparently it performs about the same as a GeForce 4 MX 440 in 3d, which
> doesn't concern me at all, but it kinda suprised me as the Radeon runs
> with no fan.
>
> Anyone had any experiences with this or something similar ?

Well I have a Powercolor Radeon 8500 which is based on the same chip but
slightly faster than the 9000. I've had it at least a year now and it's
a really solid card. Powercolor are actually the official ATI supplier
for the southern hemisphere and as such their cards are usually identical
to ATI's. No point me talking about drivers since I use it in my Mac.
Mine actually has a fan but even with my ear right next to it I can only
just hear it. I wouldn't be so sure that the GeForce 4 MX 440 is as fast
as the 9000 but feature-wise there's no comparison anyway.

Matt Browne