University Crest

[wlug] CoffeeLinux HTML editor

Oliver Jones oliver@d...
Mon Mar 17 11:46:12 NZST 2003

Any software that requires root privileges to run should be avoided like
the plague.

Now I take it that you're talking about CoffeeCup Software's CoffeeHTML
product.  If you downloaded it from CoffeeCup's website,
www.coffeecup.com/linux/, then it should have come with an install
script (Coffee_install).  If you run this as a user and accept the
defaults it installs into $HOME/CoffeeCup.Software/.  I had no problems
running this as a non-root user.

However the app looked awful.  Truly pathetic in fact.

If you can't live without a simple HTML editor, you'd be better off with
BlueFish (bluefish.openoffice.nl).

Though, IMHO the only HTML editor worth a damn is DreamWeaver.  And even
that produces pretty crap HTML.  Though maybe DreamWeaver MX is better
now.  But then DreamWeaver is a Windows/MacOS app so unless you use
VMWare or Wine you're not going to get that to work under linux.

I personally use Emacs for 99.9% of my web development.  It's HTML
editing mode is not bad.

Later

On Sun, 2003-03-16 at 17:52, Ron Dean wrote:

> I have got the above software running but only under root. I have
> changed the file permisions to user 9ron) for the software however it
> still will only run under root. Iam using Mandrake 9. I have not had
> problems with changing file permisssions for other software. The
> executable  files are in my
> /home/ron/  directory. Any help would be much appreciated
>
> Ron Dean

Oliver Jones > Senior Software Engineer > Deeper Design Limited.
oliver@d...  > www.deeperdesign.com > +64 (21) 41-2238