University Crest

[wlug] CoffeeLinux HTML editor

John R. McPherson jrm21@c...
Mon Mar 17 11:51:57 NZST 2003

> Oliver Jones wrote:
>
> Any software that requires root privileges to run should be avoided like the
> plague.
>
> Now I take it that you're talking about CoffeeCup Software's CoffeeHTML
> product.  If you downloaded it from CoffeeCup's website,
> www.coffeecup.com/linux/, then it should have come with an install script
> (Coffee_install).  If you run this as a user and accept the defaults it
> installs into $HOME/CoffeeCup.Software/.  I had no problems running this as
> a non-root user.
>
> However the app looked awful.  Truly pathetic in fact.
>
> If you can't live without a simple HTML editor, you'd be better off with
> BlueFish (bluefish.openoffice.nl).
>
> Though, IMHO the only HTML editor worth a damn is DreamWeaver.  And even
> that produces pretty crap HTML.  Though maybe DreamWeaver MX is better now.
> But then DreamWeaver is a Windows/MacOS app so unless you use VMWare or Wine
> you're not going to get that to work under linux.

Speaking of awful html, anyone whose occupation requires them to look
after other people's awful html should look at Htmltidy -
 http://tidy.sourceforge.net/

It can output standard html or xhtml, closes all your open tags,
fixes nesting problems, cleans up html produced by MS office,
prints warnings where it can't unambigiously fix it, etc....

John