University Crest

[wlug] Desktop Distro WLUG Meeting

craig@d... craig@d...
Tue Mar 18 16:57:12 NZST 2003

Hi there,

A couple of things regarding the upcoming meeting on Desktop Linux Distributions.

In order that we can have a nice hands-on play with some Linux, the meeting will probably be held at Crawshaw School.  (http://www.wlug.org.nz/CrawshawSchool - just waiting on confirmation of availability). Meetings at Crawshaw have had a lower turnout in the past - was it the topics?  If you've had trouble finding the place, let someone know and I'm sure we can get some better directions up.

I am still hoping to get back in touch with Andreas from Yoper; he hasn't responded to my recent emails so we may or may not have a guest speaker.  Nonetheless, there'll be a lot to see and do.

I'd like some volunteers to install a desktop distribution on their PC - what I'd like to see are a whole pile of machines running various distributions so that people can have a hands-on experiment with some of these new distros.  (Failing real boxes, I'll try and get some running under VMware - KDE is KDE is KDE, so there might not be much point in this.)

I'll cover the downloading & media, so if you want to install something on your PC and bring it along on Monday, let me know.

I'm looking for volunteers for:

* SuSE (assuming I can dig up a copy of 8.2)
* Mandrake beta 9.1rc2
* YOPER v1.0rc4
* maybe Lindows/Lycoris if we can track these down

These are all very bleeding edge so you may not want to use them as a permanent solution, but you never know, you might like them.

No doubt we'll be talking about this on IRC, so if anyone wants to help out, reply here or see #wlug on Undernet.  I'll be at DaHoose tonight setting my Redhat 8.1 box up with new GTK2 Evolution. :)

Craig