University Crest

[wlug] Dansguardian / Squid

Daniel Lawson daniel@m...
Thu Mar 20 09:58:22 NZST 2003

I currently have a Dansguardian / Squid proxy set up.

Its set up in the 'standard' way, with Dansguardian sitting between the
nextwork and squid.

This is fine, except that it affects the logging of requests. In squids
logs, all requests come from localhost (where dansguardian is running).
If I want to follow through to observe where a request actually
originated from, I have to then find this in the dansguardian log files.

This is ok if its just me doing it every now and then, but the person
who is in charge of this site would like to have better access to this
information. I'm currently running sarg
(http://web.onda.com.br/orso/sarg.html), and aside from any other issues
it may have, due to it parsing the squid log file I can only see bad
hits as being from localhost, and any hits that are filtered by
dansguardian I wont see at all.

DG does log everything, but as far as I can tell its not in a form that
SARG groks.

Does anyone have any other thoughts on how to do this? Suggestions for
tools other than DansGuardian and SARG are acceptable.

One way I have thought of is to run two instances of squid, sandwhiching
the DG process. The first runs in proxy-only mode, and performs
authentication. Its logfiles are the ones SARG reads. It then forwards
requests to DG which performs content and url filtering, which then
passes the requests onto the second, caching, squid. This has the
benefit of giving me full access to squids logs, and showing me any
accesses that were denied due to DG.

I dont want to just place a caching squid before the DG, because if
something is cached it may be served out of the squid cache, without
checking DG for 'permission'.

Any thoughts?