University Crest

[wlug] How do I set up PPP by hand?

Matt Brown matt@m...
Thu Mar 20 22:58:35 NZST 2003

Hi There,

> I can write a CHAT script to get me through the login that I see when I dial
> into Wave by hand, but I suspect that KPPP is avoiding that how login
> business somehow, and the PPP setting I though would be right, from reading
> PPP-HOWTO, do not work when I start a connection that way.

The following snippets of my pppd config that I successfully use to
connect to wave might be of some use to you.

* My /etc/ppp/peers/provider file looks as follows
noauth
connect "/usr/sbin/chat -f /etc/chatscripts/provider"
lock
defaultroute
noipdefault
modem
/dev/modem
115200
crtscts
passive
asyncmap 0
idle 2400
ipcp-accept-local
ipcp-accept-remote
0.0.0.0:0.0.0.0
demand
persist

* My /etc/chatscripts/provider file looks as follows
TIMEOUT 60
ABORT ERROR
ABORT BUSY
ABORT "NO CARRIER"
ABORT "NO DIALTONE"
"" "ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 S11=55 +FCLASS=0"
OK "ATDT086749283"
TIMEOUT 60
CONNECT ""
sername: ___YOUR_USERNAME_HERE___
assword: ___YOUR_PASSWORD_HERE___
> ppp
ostname: 0.0.0.0

* Then to get this all running I run
/usr/sbin/pppd call provider

I am running the debian ppp package version 2.4.1.uus-4 but as far as i
know the above config should work with a default pppd installation.

I look forward to seeing your wiki page on this topic in the future :)

--
Matt Brown
matt@m...