University Crest

[wlug] How do I set up PPP by hand?

Glyn Webster glyn@w...
Mon Mar 24 11:47:40 NZST 2003

> > > ostname: 0.0.0.0
> >
> > You know, that one line up there might be the one I really needed.
>
> Yeah, it's fairly important, you don't get an IP address if you don't send
> that line. It took me *HOURS* of fiddling in minicom to get it working,
> the mnokeys on the helpdesk at wave were of no help whatsoever :)

It worked, and I've spent several hours reading off the Web with Links now. I
made to changes to your settings: the kernal I'm using doesn't support demand
dailing, so I removed the "demand" option; and I removed "persist" because it
made 'pppd' immediately reconnect every time I disconnected.

I'm finding Links to be a wonderful web-browser for text mode. It has let
features than Lynx but it has a much better renderer.  I need to find Usenet
and email clients of Monkey now.  They need to work in text-mode and be
satisfied with 4 MB of  RAM.  (I remember Pine  being small and easy to use,
but when I compiled the lastest release the executable was 6 megabytes! What
have they done it it?!)  Any suggestions from anyone?

--
Glyn Webster ~  Simplicity himself. ~ glyn@w...