University Crest

[wlug] FW: [nznog] Net4u - Stealing bandwidth etc.

Gavin Denby redhat@i...
Tue Mar 25 10:54:23 NZST 2003

Legally interesting, Its morally wrong to take advantage of an open
relay, but one has to wonder if using a proxy server is actually theft.
After all the whole idea of proxy's is to reduce the amount of repeated
international traffic, I'm actually surprised Telecom don't force all NZ
connected ISP's to work via a super proxy somewhere, to reduce their
international traffic. (it would also allow the government spy agencies
better access to what we are all actually up too ....... OK so lame me
when they do it. )

The real problem is that the whole internet concept was never really
designed for a commercial model, but rather an co-operative model, so if
you co-operate, how do you prove intent to "Permanently deprive the
owner thereof" the legal definition of theft.

Still. Not good, after all ... "A good name is more valuable than
Diamonds" Ancient Proverb.