University Crest

[wlug] RedHat 9

craig@d... craig@d...
Tue Mar 25 11:41:26 NZST 2003

> Hmm.  I just got a marketing email from RH because I'm a RHN
> subscriber.  Seems they're jumping to version 9 for their next release.
> This has to be a first.  Usually they rev at least a couple minor
> releases before jumping to the next major one.  Anyone know what major
> improvements have been made since the 8.0 release?
>
> Anyone played with the beta?

Yes.  It's much like Red Hat 8, but more broken. Regular crashes.  I don't recommend running Red Hat betas (this is the second time I've been down this path, but I never learn.)

I think the reason for upgrade isn't version increase, it's that they're upgrading to glibc 2.3 and therefore going to be binary incompatible.  RH have always increased their major version number only in caseses of binary incompatibility (or, more the point, a .1 or .2 will be binary compatible with the corresponding .0).

Craig