Wed Mar 26 10:56:59 NZST 2003
In Feb we talked about advocacy planning and LUG activities for 2003. I hadn't put the notes I've taken (yes, I can see I'll get elected secretary again...) up anywhere until now, so here are some freeform notes from the meeting. (As always, annotations are welcome at http://www.wlug.org.nz/MeetingTopics.2003-02-24
Apply for a WEL Energy Trust grant - perhaps purchase data projector
We need topics for the year (need about 9 or 10)
* Desktop Linux
o the LUG should select a "desktop linux distro" of choice and look at having a common platform for supporting users issues
o a distribution for business users
* An introduction to Unix - what it is, why it does what it does etc, the Unix model; similar to what was covered in Uni tutorials
o What is a load average?
* Installfest? (See Distro of Choice)
* What can linux do now (that it couldn't do previously)
o Multimedia - music, video, cd copying
* Windows + linux compatiblity
* Wireless and wardriving - CRCNet presentation?
* Anti spam and anti virus
* Advanced routing, gateway, qos, source based routing,
Work to establish the WLUG Library.
* McGraw Hill
* Member owned books/loans - need some system for this
Throw a Linux lan party?
Need diversity of membership - try and up membership numbers in both Linux professionals and new users
Use Knoppix to show Linux off to new people
More information about the wlug
NOTICE: This is an archive of a public mailing list. The University of Waikato is not responsible for its contents.