University Crest

[wlug] Notes from advocacy meeting (Feb)

craig@d... craig@d...
Wed Mar 26 10:56:59 NZST 2003

Hi everyone,

In Feb we talked about advocacy planning and LUG activities for 2003.  I hadn't put the notes I've taken (yes, I can see I'll get elected secretary again...) up anywhere until now, so here are some freeform notes from the meeting.  (As always, annotations are welcome at http://www.wlug.org.nz/MeetingTopics.2003-02-24

Craig

Apply for a WEL Energy Trust grant - perhaps purchase data projector

We need topics for the year (need about 9 or 10)

    * Desktop Linux
          o the LUG should select a "desktop linux distro" of choice and look at having a common platform for supporting users issues
          o a distribution for business users
    * An introduction to Unix - what it is, why it does what it does etc, the Unix model; similar to what was covered in Uni tutorials
          o What is a load average?
    * Installfest? (See Distro of Choice)
    * What can linux do now (that it couldn't do previously)
          o Multimedia - music, video, cd copying
    * Windows + linux compatiblity
    * Wireless and wardriving - CRCNet presentation?
    * Anti spam and anti virus
    * Advanced routing, gateway, qos, source based routing,

Work to establish the WLUG Library.

Approach:

    * IBM
    * O'Reilly
    * McGraw Hill
    * Apple
    * Member owned books/loans - need some system for this

Throw a Linux lan party?

Need diversity of membership - try and up membership numbers in both Linux professionals and new users

Use Knoppix to show Linux off to new people