University Crest

[wlug] Wire wrap

Lindsay Druett lindsayd@w...
Fri Mar 28 11:46:42 NZST 2003

I've done it on an ADC termination panel for 2MB circuits at the
TelstraClear Frankton Railway Station POI (about 3-4 years ago), but
it's hardly used otherwise.  But nothing beats those Krone blocks :-)

-----Original Message-----
From: Gavin Denby [mailto:redhat@i...]
Sent: Friday, 28 March 2003 11:30
To: wlug
Subject: Re: [wlug] Wire wrap

Wire wrapping is very old system, made for single cored wire, this is
brittle and breaks easily, you will get a lot o faults unless it is
solidly mounted. and the cable is rigid and wel protected.

unless its mounted in a rack, I would look for another method.

Even Telecom dont wire wrap anymore

On Fri, 2003-03-28 at 11:14, Glyn Webster wrote:

> What's this for ?

I've made myself a keyboard. (The "Frankenstein". It's for programming,
it

has an extra row of keys so I don't have to use shift to type
punctuation.)

I'm up to the stage of wiring it. I have to wire over 200 terminals, and
from

an experiment on a few keys, cutting, stripping and soldering individual

wires will take me 20 hours (duing which I'll burn myself ten times).  I

don't know much about wire wrap, I'm just hoping it'll be a more
practical

solution.