University Crest

[wlug] Mailman/Pipermail Email Address Obsfucation

Colin Palmer colinp@w...
Mon Sep 8 11:09:30 NZST 2003

On Fri, 5 Sep 2003, Kim Shepherd wrote:

> So... yeah, there's your solution. If you were referring to the WLUG
> list, and not any mailman/pipermail setup, then it's already done.
> If you're actually wanting to know which mailman setting you need to
> play with, it's the obscure_addresses option.

This isn't standard Mailman however, I had to modify HyperArch.py
By default 'obscure' just replaces @ with ' at ' in addresses and turns
them into mailto:s pointing to the list.

Here's a patch that does Yahoo! style munging instead:

  http://list.waikato.ac.nz/patches/mm21-hyperarch-munge.diff

You'll also want to configure your web server to deny access to the
'listname.mbox' files that HyperArch leaves around since they've still got
unmunged addresses in them.

--
** Colin Palmer, Systems and Development Group, University of Waikato, NZ **