University Crest

[wlug] Domain squatting (was re: .geek.nz - last day to vote)

Craig Box craig@d...
Mon Sep 8 14:25:46 NZST 2003

> good thing it got brought in :)
>
> http://www.domainname.geek.nz

I don't know about you, but I really hate it when domain names are treated
like goods to be bought to speculate on.  Especially for those 'metasearch
sites' that exist on domain names that people are likely to visit.

http://www.bootdisks.com/ is today's example of this.  You really meant to
visit 'bootdisk.com'.

I'd really hope that the people who run domainname.geek.nz are not
encouraging this kind of practise, and that all the .geek.nz domains that
were bought are going to go to good use, not be sold off at a profit to
someone who really wanted it but wasn't quick enough.

Craig