University Crest

[wlug] Domain squatting (was re: .geek.nz - last day to vote)

Lindsay Druett lindsayd@w...
Mon Sep 8 14:33:43 NZST 2003

Ah come on, it's like having having personalised plates on your car...

Do I have personalised plates on my car ?  Of course not, but if I
waited a day, I could have got BGPxxx (instead of BGNxxx) then I would
have had personalised number plates at no extra cost...

Seriously, domain names now have a huge slice of action in the
advertising industry, more and more business are branding themselves
with their domain name.

At the end of the day, you just have to honestly ask yourself, "Why did
we all want .geek.nz ?..."

http://www.bootdisks.com/ is today's example of this.  You really meant
to visit 'bootdisk.com'.

I'd really hope that the people who run domainname.geek.nz are not
encouraging this kind of practise, and that all the .geek.nz domains
that were bought are going to go to good use, not be sold off at a
profit to someone who really wanted it but wasn't quick enough.

Craig