University Crest

[wlug] simple CAD program

Glenn Ramsey glenn@c...
Mon Sep 8 15:05:21 NZST 2003

Martin Baehr wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 08, 2003 at 09:30:39AM +1200, Glenn Ramsey wrote:
>
>>I need to annotate some pictures with dimension lines showing angles.
>>Does anyone know if there is a Linux 2D CAD program that will let me
>>load a jpg image and draw dimension lines on it?
>

> why cad?
> the advantage of cad is, that it is vactor based and thus scalable.
> if you draw on a jpg then that advantage is lost, because the jpg won't
> scale. it does make sense if you have a complex drawing and the jpg is a
> mere texture...

Yeah, I know that, the reason I mentioned cad is that in general cad
programs have automatic dimensioning and in general drawing and
diagramming programs do not have this feature. I think Visio (Windows)
is does let you do it, but I don't have access to that. Kontour allows
you to import a picture and draw lines on it but it doesn't have
automatic dimensioning.

> but if that is not the case then you might consider gimp to draw the
> lines. gimp does have some vector plugins to draw lines and angles and
> stuff, those should be good enough for this.

That sounds exactly like what I need, I'll have a look for them, thanks.

Glenn Ramsey <glenn@c...> 07 8627077
http://www.componic.co.nz