University Crest

[wlug] Waikato University Linux

James Spooner james@s...
Mon Sep 8 20:54:39 NZST 2003

Edward Murrell wrote:
>> From a brief poke around the /proc/ fs, it's clear the machines are
> easily capable of running something far more up to date. I would
> really like to see something along the lines of GNOME 2.X, KDE3, a
> fairly recent version of say Mozilla, Galeon, or Konqueror, and for
> the love of god, decent fonts.
>
> Given the varsity centric nature of the WLUG, I'm hoping someone can
> tell me why the Linux machines are in such as sad state. Do the admins
> not care? Or have they simply forgotten what's running there.

There is no need to upgrade the machines.  TSG are paid to maintain an
environment in which courses can be taught.
Forgetting the fact that the user interface sucks for a minute, they are
doing their job.

When it comes around to upgrading the state of the machines, which is a
significantly large task likely not to happen until the end if the year,
hopefully you might see some pretty things happening.

James