University Crest

[wlug] Waikato University Linux

Kim Shepherd kims@w...
Tue Sep 9 10:15:35 NZST 2003

On Mon, Sep 08, 2003 at 08:31:01PM +1200, Edward Murrell wrote:
> I was discussing the use of Linux at uni today. One of the main points I
> was asked to defend was essentially; "Why does Linux sucks so much?"
>
> This persons experience with Linux had pretty much centred round the
> R block, and G basement computers at uni - and I can't say I disagree
> with her. As far as I can make out, those computers are running some
> ancient version of Slackware (I think?) with GNOME 1.4, and KDE2. Most
> of the other WMs seem to be broken.
> Fonts are abysmal, and the default browser is Netscape 4. The
> CDRom/fstab is only correctly setup on some of the machines.
>
> Frankly, it's embarrassing. While I can understand that the uni staff
> don't exactly have time to be reinstalling Linux every six months, and
> that stability is very important, this is the same config that I was
> using when I attempted second year for the first time back in 2001.
>
> >From a brief poke around the /proc/ fs, it's clear the machines are
> easily capable of running something far more up to date. I would really
> like to see something along the lines of GNOME 2.X, KDE3, a fairly
> recent version of say Mozilla, Galeon, or Konqueror, and for the love of
> god, decent fonts.
>
> Given the varsity centric nature of the WLUG, I'm hoping someone can
> tell me why the Linux machines are in such as sad state. Do the admins
> not care? Or have they simply forgotten what's running there.
>
> Regards
> Edward

Do the people raising these issues have student home directories?
Do they browse the web using their student account?
Do they print to charged print queues?
Do they ever use www.waikato.ac.nz? Or igate?
Do they use University mailing lists?

There are a myriad of other services running solely on Linux, of course.. these are just the ones that I can think of right now.

Then again, you're probably talking about SCMS lab PCs, which I've never seen, and SCMS don't use a bunch of our services anyway.

-k.