University Crest

[wlug] graphics speed

Glenn Ramsey glenn@c...
Tue Sep 23 09:51:50 NZST 2003

Hi,

I have a scientific visualisation app (cgui from
http://www.bioeng.auckland.ac.nz ) that I have tested on 3 different
machines and I have found that the graphics performance is opposite to
what I expected.  I was wondering if anyone could give me some pointers
about how to figure out what might be causing the slowness on 2 of the
machines.

The machines are:

1. Compaq Presario 2100 series laptop. Athlon XP 2400, 512Mb Ram, Ati
Radeon IGP320M. The accelerated features of this graphics chipset are
not supported by XFree86.

2. PC with AMD Duron 900 + Matrox GA400 graphics adpator.

3. PC with Athon XP 1800, running Xvnc 3.3.6. Viewed across 100 Mbit
ethernet from vncviewer on Windows.

The thing that is confusing me is that when viewing a shaded bezier
surface the best performance is on machine 3 - using vnc. I would have
expected machine 1 at least to have equivalent performance to machine 3
given that the rendering is being done in software in both cases. But it
is noticably a lot slower on machine 1, any ideas why that might be?

I haven't done any framerate measurements, the "test" I used was to load
a human torso model and rotate it with the mouse.

Machine 2 was the slowest at this task, so apparently there is no
hardware support for shading in the mga driver or the driver doesn't
like my hardware.  Machine 2 does however run glxgears the fastest.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Glenn Ramsey <glenn@c...> 07 8627077
http://www.componic.co.nz