University Crest

[wlug] graphics speed

Richard Stevenson richard@e...
Tue Sep 23 10:00:29 NZST 2003

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003, Glenn Ramsey wrote:

> I have a scientific visualisation app (cgui from
> http://www.bioeng.auckland.ac.nz ) that I have tested on 3 different
> machines and I have found that the graphics performance is opposite to
> what I expected.  I was wondering if anyone could give me some pointers
> about how to figure out what might be causing the slowness on 2 of the
> machines.
>
> The machines are:
>
> 1. Compaq Presario 2100 series laptop. Athlon XP 2400, 512Mb Ram, Ati
> Radeon IGP320M. The accelerated features of this graphics chipset are
> not supported by XFree86.

And you'll probably find the AGP bridge isn't either, which may be another
cause of slowdown.  Oh, and the XFree86 DRI stuff won't help at all either
- the mainline X tree is *old* in this regard.  If you're feeling brave,
check out the current XFree86 snapshots - ATI have been contributing a
*lot* of code, and I think they've got 2D acceleration for the ATI IGP
chipsets in there now (SWMBO has a laptop with one of these, and she's
asking me to do this...).  If you're *really* lucky, the latest X snapshot
will actually build!

> 2. PC with AMD Duron 900 + Matrox GA400 graphics adpator.

Hmm... don't Matrox have their own binary driver somewhere?

> 3. PC with Athon XP 1800, running Xvnc 3.3.6. Viewed across 100 Mbit
> ethernet from vncviewer on Windows.
>
> Machine 2 was the slowest at this task, so apparently there is no
> hardware support for shading in the mga driver or the driver doesn't
> like my hardware.  Machine 2 does however run glxgears the fastest.

This tells me that your app doesn't use GLX, so it's probably doing all
the rendering using the machine's CPU, RAM, $deity knows what else.  As
the Duron 900 is the slowest machine you've got.

I'm still boggled at anything over VNC being the fastest, though.  That's
just bizarre.

Cheers

Richard

--
Richard Stevenson

  If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people He
  gave it to
    -- Dorothy Parker