University Crest

[wlug] graphics speed

Glenn Ramsey glenn@c...
Tue Sep 23 11:05:11 NZST 2003

Richard Stevenson wrote:

> Good points both - I'd forgotten that VNC worked that way.  In a previous
> life, I had to administer an NT-based backup system using VNC (over a
> Saturn cable modem link).  You'd move the mouse and then go out to dinner
> while you waited for the update to come back.  It was probably the backup
> server, though.  Legato Networker works (as much as it ever could) on a
> big Alpha running Unix.  It doesn't cope well with an NT box, even if that
> NT box has a CPU a million times faster.

I've found that vnc works the best when the server is Xvnc and the
viewer is on windows. Which is not surprising since that is what it was
originally designed for. While the windows vncserver allows the machine
to be usable it seems to not redraw properly a lot of the time for
things like menus. This is mentioned in the docs.

On the machine where I use Xvnc over the 100M lan it is just like being
there.

Glenn Ramsey <glenn@c...> 07 8627077
http://www.componic.co.nz