University Crest

[wlug] linux within windows

Matt Brown matt@m...
Fri Sep 26 12:50:54 NZST 2003

Cygwin as previously suggested gets you linux like functionality within
windows and from what I've seen it is a reasonably good solution, although
I've not personally used it. This doesnt' actually allow you to install
your favourite linux distribution however.

If you want a real virtual machine that allows you to install anything you
might want to look at something like VMware. It's not free in any sense of
the word but it works really well and allows you to play with a lot more
than just linux. You can download a 30 day evaluation copy from their
website.

On Fri, 26 Sep 2003, David Nicholls wrote:

> I have a question as a follow on from my mandrake one... Is there any
> distro that can be installed into an image within windows and then run
> like an emulator I guess.
> Ie run it and it opens up the image of a linux drive from within
> windows, you have your filesystem/partitions created etc. all within the
> image.
>
> Hope this makes sense.
>
> Cheers...
> david