University Crest

[wlug] linux within windows

David Nicholls davidn@w...
Fri Sep 26 13:05:35 NZST 2003

Basically my problem is this:
I have an academic who is running win2k.  He also has just purchased a
scientific program that runs in linux.  However he also does not want to
have to dual-boot or purchase anthing more.  Thinking along these lines
as far as both he and I could remember, mandrake allowed you to create
an image that you could load to from within windows and was doing a lot
of marketing on this ability a while back.  I haven't seen anything more
about this on their site, so I don't know about this anymore.
In the end I just need to know if it can be done with any of the distros
rather than a VM of some sort.

Cheers...
david

-----Original Message-----
From: mglb1-forwarding
Sent: Friday, 26 September 2003 12:51 pm

If you want a real virtual machine that allows you to install anything
you might want to look at something like VMware. It's not free in any
sense of the word but it works really well and allows you to play with a
lot more than just linux. You can download a 30 day evaluation copy from
their website.