University Crest

[wlug] linux within windows

John R. McPherson jrm21@c...
Fri Sep 26 13:10:14 NZST 2003

On Fri, Sep 26, 2003 at 01:05:35PM +1200, David Nicholls wrote:
> Basically my problem is this:
> I have an academic who is running win2k.  He also has just purchased a
> scientific program that runs in linux.  However he also does not want to
> have to dual-boot or purchase anthing more.  Thinking along these lines

> as far as both he and I could remember, mandrake allowed you to create
> an image that you could load to from within windows and was doing a lot
> of marketing on this ability a while back.  I haven't seen anything more
> about this on their site, so I don't know about this anymore.
> In the end I just need to know if it can be done with any of the distros
> rather than a VM of some sort.

Ah, academics eh?

an early way to run linux was to run it from dos, using the loadlin.exe
program. However, that is pretty much equivalent to dual booting.

I would suggest that he runs the linux software remotely on linux
machine and use an X server for windows to access the remote machine
and view the result.

The cygwin xfree86 port works very well.

John