University Crest

[wlug] Linux Kernel 2.6.0

Daniel Lawson daniel@m...
Sun Sep 28 23:23:02 NZST 2003

The new linux kernel stable branch, 2.6.0, is nearly here. It is
currently in the 2.6.0-test stage. I've been running a 2.6.0 test kernel
on and off for a couple of weeks now, and thought I'd mention it on list
to encourage those who feel up to it to try it out.

Some new features that I've noticed:
* Crypto API support, for encrypted filesystems and IPSec
* (IPSec)
* /sys filesystem - like the contents of /proc/sys
* Much better ACPI support
* STCP (Stream Control Transmission Protocol)
* Improved networkin
  * IPv6, netfilter for IPv6
  * netfilter for bridges?
* ALSA sound drivers have been merged
* ext2 / ext3 extended attribute and ACL support
* (I think) better firewire / usb2 support
* ATAPI cdwriting - no need for scsi emulation any more

There's a whole lot more too, i'm sure -thats just what I can remember.

It seems stable, although I have odd things happen every now and then
(like, a segmentation fault when rmmod'ing a module - all subsequent
module operations (lsmod, rmmod, modprobe) lock up. reboot needed.
oops).  Certainly, once the test kernels have finished and 2.6.0 is
declared "stable", this should be a good kernel.

On my gentoo box, the only thing I needed to upgrade was modutils. Your
mileage may vary for other distros, so make sure to read the kernel
changelog and update any packages required! I think some distros (RedHat
?) have binary kernel targets for 2.6.0 already

Daniel