University Crest

[wlug] Linux Kernel 2.6.0

Craig Box craig@d...
Sun Sep 28 23:46:11 NZST 2003

> On my gentoo box, the only thing I needed to upgrade was modutils.
> Your mileage may vary for other distros, so make sure to read the
> kernel changelog and update any packages required! I think some
> distros (RedHat ?) have binary kernel targets for 2.6.0 already

It is possible to install a Red Hat packaged 2.6.0-test kernel (see
http://people.redhat.com/arjanv/2.5/), however some things have changed
between 2.4 and 2.6 that can't just be worked around by installing new
packages.  (USB module names, some mount points, that kind of thing.) If you
want a clean boot you will have to change some of the init scripts, and this
will break booting 2.4.  So it's a bit all or nothing at the moment, and I
recommend people who aren't convinced it will do everything they need it to
do (I couldn't get my network card working under 2.6) stay on 2.4 until it's
released proper.

See http://www.wlug.org.nz/KernelNotes for some details.  The pages with the
specific detail on them are http://thomer.com/linux/migrate-to-2.6.html and
http://www.fearthecow.net/index.pl?section=guest&page=kernel