University Crest

[wlug] Renaming Debian platforms

Daniel Lawson daniel@m...
Mon Apr 5 08:48:04 NZST 2004

>Hee. Does Solaris have pkill? That's what I've been using on
>Linux for the longest time now -- no killall for me, thanks.

That's a really good point actually, and more people should be made
aware of pkill.

pkill -u username

will kill all processes owned by that user.

pkill -u username programname

will kill all proceesses called programname owned by that user.

So killing all of perry's bash processes is easy: pkill -u perry bash.

If you just typed 'killall bash' you'd be likely to kill your own bash
process as well!