University Crest

[wlug] Renaming Debian platforms

Greig McGill greig@h...
Tue Apr 6 13:43:37 NZST 2004

> Once again "updating for the sake of updating" applies, sure there some
> genuine new stuff that offer something that is not just a fresh paint
> job. But can the same be said for the SERVER environment.
>
> Since you mentioned mickysoft, allot of people are still running NT3.5 &
>  NT4 on there OLD pentium platforms, as a server, and in same cases as a
>  work station, and shock horror mickysoft still support them.

Oh Really?
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/lifecycle/default.mspx

And reed the "see note" bit.

Please stop with the unfounded guesswork.

> Well, it is true for the end user, but I was talking about servers...

OK, if you want to take that approach...
Name brand server hardware is supplied by most vendors with an expected
lifetime of 3 years.  Maybe 5 tops.  After that, you expect a high level
of hardware failures.  From that angle alone, I'd not be bothering with
old hardware in a server environment.

Are you for real, or are you trolling?
If the latter, please stop, or feel free to join #wlug, where we are eager
and waiting to tear you a new one! :)

--
Greig McGill