University Crest

[wlug] Renaming Debian platforms

Perry Lorier perry@c...
Tue Apr 6 14:15:01 NZST 2004

Drew Broadley wrote:

>I'm sure soekris pc's aren'ts that much more powerful then 486's
>.. and they have how many Mb RAM ?
>.. oh and they run on how many Mb FlashCards ?
>
>If you want to see minimal linux installs, ask any soekris biscuit board
>owner about theirs..

The Soekris machines we use here have 64MB of Memory, and we use 64MB
Flashcards.  They are AMD Elan's (486ish) running at 133Mhz.    They run
a custom distribution which we developed based very loosely on Debian.
The flash cards (IIRC) are only about 50% full.  Most of the slimming
came from using busybox for almost everything, and stripping the 90MB
Glibc down (Glibc itself is ~1MB, but the Locale/zoneinfo/etc files
total about 90MB)

While it took quite some effort to strip down Linux for these machines,
I wouldn't expect a standard distribution to run on them.  A Soekris
doesn't have a VGA display, nor a keyboard/mouse (it's serial console
only).  Because they are running off flash, we make considerable effort
to keep the file system mounted readonly at all times.

You can see a Soekris here:
http://www.crc.net.nz/gallery/rch_install/DSC02841