University Crest

[wlug] Bite

DrWho? x_files_@i...
Tue Apr 6 14:39:49 NZST 2004

Have a look at KA9Q NOS by Phil Karn.

He did one of the early 1.x kernels for an XT, in fact I think his memory
management was put into the kernel tree at the time.

Not long after that a fork from the KA9Q NOS was done for a 286 using the
2.0 kernel tree. Single floppy type job, but a pain to put on HDD.

Since this was all done in the real early days, not much of it has
survived, except on the old HDD tucked away in the back shed or in old ham
radio publications of the time.
I belive a few are still running on hill tops in the US, with the original
hardware acting as gateway nodes.

The NAT was very good, pity no one really saw the benefit of it at the
time, and it was very tricky to setup with the AX25 bridging.

Later forks, i.e. JNOS and TNOS etc... became part of the Ham radio
features of the kernel.