University Crest

[wlug] compaq armada 1592

Stephen Pearce g_and_s_pearce@x...
Sat Apr 10 18:11:14 NZST 2004

Someone unkindly hoisted this on me to get going!

It came with win95 on the disk and 2 pcmcia
modems .. us botics xejm3336 and a 3com device ..

Anyway .. I got the damn thing working under win 95 for internet stuff .. then he went and bought a usb printer
for which there was no win95 driver

Right I thought .. linux is the thing ...and installed
rh9.0 .. wiping out the win 95 partition...

well it seems to take all day to try  loading open office
(64 M of memory) ..to the point of being useless

So I fell back to win 98 .. and have spent most of today trying to get this installed .. but the graphics drivers don't work .. the modem isn't properly recognised etc etc!!!! :<(((((

Has anyone experience of linux on one of these brutes
.. it has to read ms word docs ... do a bit of
graphing for illustrations and work on the internet ...

Thanks

Stephen