University Crest

[wlug] Install fest

DrWho? x_files_@i...
Thu Apr 15 12:52:01 NZST 2004

After reading the comments posted about the install fest here is my 2cents
worth.

It would be a fair comment that most people who would attend the install
fest would be windows users who may be interested in making the move to
Linux, for one reason or another.

So rather than offering a "cold turkey" solution why not focus on a "dual
boot" solution so they can chop and change as needed until they become more
confidant in Linux.

This will mean a bit more effort on the part of the volunteers with
partition resizing etc.. but in saying that sing out and they will come.

Personally, I would say focus on the following linux apps:
* A working Media Player that will do DivX, XVid, DVD, MPEG1 & 2, mp3 etc..
and TV output.
* A GUI based CD writer that can produce data, audio & video CDs.
* EMAIL, WWW & FTP etc. also some form of ActiveX emulation for on-line
banking.
* File and printer sharing.
* Internet connection sharing.
* Firewall.
* Archive management i.e. ZIP & RAR etc..
* An automatic update solution.
* Office software.

There will no doubt be more software that some would need to play games
with, but I have not gone down that path, but finding someone who could
help with this would be of good value.

By trying, best as possible, to ensure that all the above mentioned
software can "interchange" with windows it would be good value for the end
user.

All flames, abuse & bashing here: