University Crest

[wlug] Install fest

Matt Brown matt@m...
Thu Apr 15 14:22:17 NZST 2004

On Thu, 2004-04-15 at 12:52, DrWho? wrote:
> This will mean a bit more effort on the part of the volunteers with
> partition resizing etc.. but in saying that sing out and they will come.

Have a look at http://www.wlug.org.nz/InstallFest for the details of
what we are suggesting people do. Basically it boils down to
* Have at least 5GB unpartitioned space on your disk
* OR be prepared to wipe the disk clean
* OR buy a new harddisk

as others have pointed out resizing is particularly risky and not
something that I think we want to be fiddling around with. Provided
there is enough space on the disk we will quite happily ensure that the
machine dual boots properly.

> There will no doubt be more software that some would need to play games
> with, but I have not gone down that path, but finding someone who could
> help with this would be of good value.

I think be installing a recent distribution such as Fedora Core and
teaching people how to use the package management tools that are
available we will achieve most of this.

Matt Brown
Email: matt@m...
GSM  : 021 611 544