University Crest

[wlug] Install fest

zcat zcat@w...
Sat Apr 17 10:20:44 NZST 2004

Gavin Denby wrote:

> Of course the other side of the coin, waiver or not, is that by
> separating the resizing from the linux install, in whatever way, and
> irrespective of the tools used. if data is lost, its not linux that
> did it, but rather the resizing of the windows partition that was the
> issue.

I would be happiest obviously if everyone had a few gig 'unallocated'
space, and the issue never arose.
If anyone turns up thinking that '4G used, 55G unused' on their windows
partition is the same as unallocated, it's a pity to turn them away.

Another issue that crossed my mind. Partition Managers (OnTrack, etc)
and weird allocations. If we see these, the safest option is to make a
boot floppy for Linux. GRUB and Lilo handle them very badly. Hopefully
everyone who turns up will have a reasonably sane original 98 or XP
install rather than a
windows95usingOnTrackupgradedtowindoes98upgradedtoXP nightmare and it
won't be a problem, but it's worth being aware of.