University Crest

[wlug] Install fest

Oliver Jones oliver@d...
Sat Apr 17 15:31:41 NZST 2004

> It's also worth pointing out that (particularly after the Witty worm)
> any computer user who doesn't have backups of their important data is an
> IDIOT.
>
> This applies to Linux users too. No OS is 100% secure or immune from
> hardware failure.

Or immune to software bugs.  RedHat 9's support for the Adaptect
AIC-79xx series of SCSI adapters in particular.  We were afraid we had
lost our file servers (MD driven) RAID array after an accidental upgrade
of the running Kernel on the server because it was spewing errors (and I
mean hundreds, it couldn't mount the disks properly).  But fortunately
for us with a replacement of the SCSI driver for from the official
Adaptec maintainer everything went back to normal.

2238