University Crest

[wlug] iptables question

DrWho? x_files_@i...
Tue Apr 27 09:49:48 NZST 2004

>On Mon, Apr 26, 2004 at 11:52:08PM +1200, DrWho? wrote:
>
> > At 22:33 26/04/2004, you wrote:
>
>                        ^^^
> >
> > >* DrWho? <x_files_@i...> [2004-04-26 12:19]:
>                           ^^^
> > >
> > >Who is "you"? Can you configure your mailer for proper
> > >attribution, please?
> >
> > Not sure what you mean?
>
>He means that your mailer starts messages with "... YOU wrote", even
>when it is sending to a mailing list.
>

> > The idea is to save the DSL cap from being blown by un-needed offshore
> > connections.
>
>All incoming packets will count against your data cap, regardless of
>whether or not your machine accepts them.

True, but if the ports are stealthed then only the initial scan will be
counted and no further traffic will come from the offending party.

>If you want an apache-only solution, you can do
>
>   order deny, allow
>   deny from all
>   allow from .nz
>
>in a <Location> block, but that will mean that people in NZ whose dns
>returns anything other than .nz won't be able to get to it. Likewise
>machines with a .nz might actually be located overseas.

I can live with that thanks, as 99% of the people who will need to access
the site will be from xtra, ihug or paradise.

Interesting the bit about the overseas hosting, as far as my cap is
concerned if it is a .nz I concider that national traffic and it is IHUGS
problem to filter that out from my international traffic.