University Crest

[wlug] Programming Courses ?

Orion Edwards orion@c...
Wed Apr 28 15:24:45 NZST 2004

> 1. Is C still a viable language to learn to write programs for PC/MAC
> Ideally in Win MacOSX (cocoa looks nice) and Linux or should I be
> looking at C# / Mono / QT / ??

There's 2 programming languages you need to learn. C++ (Treating C as a subset
of C++ here), and everything else.

Once you've learnt C++, the "Everything Else" comes naturally and without much
effort, except for godawful things like lisp and haskell, but those are rarely
used outside of academia.

> It seems that all later programming languages seem to be adding to C
> (extend .. embrace ??) so Would C be a good start place ?

No, do not just learn C, as a lot of 'next gen' languages are Object Oriented.
If you only learn C, you won't learn about that, and be in for some strife if
you do try and learn C#/Java/etc. Find a good C++ course, and get stuck into
it.

Having said that, I've no idea where you'd find such a thing. Teach yourself
would be my advice.