University Crest

[wlug] Programming Courses ?

Orion Edwards orion@c...
Thu Apr 29 11:25:12 NZST 2004

Quoting Gavin Denby <redhat@i...>:

> Thanks for the interesting comments to date,
>
> Just to fine tune my thinking, If a new programmer learnt C++ and then
> was handed some C code for tidy up, he would probably manage ok ???

Yes. C is a subset of C++.
You'll only really encounter issues with the API's - Pure C++ programmers tend
to use things like iostreams and cout, whereas C you'll just get FILE* and
printf.

They're doing the same thing, just the API is different. The thing I like most
about C++ is that you can use some of the nice things from C++ like the
standard template library, but you also get to use all of the nice clean C
things (printf).

:-)