University Crest

[wlug] Real world requirements

Greig McGill greig@h...
Mon Apr 4 10:42:38 NZST 2005

Michael Honeyfield wrote:

>Here at EDS Windows XP, Internet Explorer and Outlook are real world requirements....
>
>Not everyone's work place has the luxary of using OSS for their tools and platforms.
>
>Mike

Also, as a followup to this, we have enforced Firefox as the supported
browser platform for our clients.  We have spent a lot of time (==
money) educating them that some sites will not work, and that this is a
fault with the site, not firefox.  This alone has had two benefits.

1.  People now realise a little bit of what "we" know - that MS has had
a bad effect on the web, as an implementation of a set of standards.
2.  They know to contact the site, and advise the broken features.  This
feeds back to the developers that their audience is not one broken
browser anymore.

Note that we have NOT removed IE, as sometimes those sites need to be
accessed, bad or not.  We have had a small measure of success getting
developers to modify their site design.

So, baby steps.

G.