University Crest

[wlug] fw: GIMP article

Perry Lorier perry@c...
Mon Apr 4 16:34:17 NZST 2005

Oliver Jones wrote:
> I personally use the Photoshop keyboard bindings with Gimp.  It makes my
> life easier now as I'm a long time Photoshop user.  The only way the
> Gimp will attract long time Photoshop users to convert is to be more
> like Photoshop in both function and interface.
>
> And I must admit that a lot of the Gimp's default keyboard short cuts
> make absolutely no sense what-so-ever to me.  Some of the names given to
> things are also far too geeky.  Eg, "Convolve".  What the hell does
> Convolve mean.  Especially to an artist.

One thing I do like about The Gimp is that you can bind shortcut keys on
the fly.  If you find yourself accessing the same menu heaps, you just
hover over the item with the mouse and press the key you want to be
bound to it. it then binds that key to that feature so you can press
that instead.  I often bind f1 -> f5 to things I'm commonly doing "right
now" and use that to quickly select things, then later when I'm doing
something else I'll rebind them to something else.

After a while you end up with a set of key bindings that isn't gimp,
photoshop or anything, but a set of keybindings that suits what you're
doing.  I kinda like it.