University Crest

[wlug] Curious about OSS

John R. McPherson jrm21@c...
Mon Apr 4 16:57:20 NZST 2005

On Mon, Apr 04, 2005 at 04:40:25PM +1200, Mark Grimshaw wrote:
> On 4 Apr 2005 at 16:31, Matt Brown wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 2005-04-04 at 16:15 +1200, Mark Grimshaw wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > Just curious.  Among all the emails about _using_ OSS, how many
> > > people here _produce_ OSS?

> My judgement was that it was off-topic - hence new thread.  I stand by
> that.

I think the problem is that you didn't start a new thread by writing
a new email, you hit reply to another message, so everyone's mail
client filed your new message as a reply (due to the following headers):

Anyway, I've been a developer of the greenstone digital library/text
indexing software, written a program that works with cheap dick smith
electronics webcams that don't otherwise work under linux (since they
lack the hardware to convert the raw image formats to a decent
format), and submitted bug fixes and patches to several packages.

I also have a bunch of programs that I've been meaning to make publicly
available if I ever find time to tidy them up, and one day I might
release the software I developed for my thesis (for doing recognition
of scanned sheet music).

John McPherson