University Crest

[wlug] Curious about OSS

Perry Lorier perry@c...
Mon Apr 4 16:57:58 NZST 2005

Mark Grimshaw wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Just curious.  Among all the emails about _using_ OSS, how many
> people here _produce_ OSS?
>
> I'll hold my hand up -- bibliography management systems etc. at
> www.sourceforge.net/projects/wikindx
> and
> www.sourceforge.net/projects/bibliophile

Some of the highlights of things I work on:
* undernet's irc daemon as a comaintainer
  http://coder-com.undernet.org

* Some other bits and pieces related to IRC:
  http://sf.net/projects/gnuworld
  http://www.rage-irc.com/

* WANd (Wide Area Network Daemon, not the Waikato network research
group, well, I work for them too, but they're not an open source
project, uh you know what I mean anyway)
  http://wand.sf.net
(while wand isn't well used these days, parts of it such as it's
libconfig is used in several other projects esp within the WAND research
group, and the firewall I wrote to deal with it appears to be widely
used within WAND)

* Traceroute mesh software
  http://tr.meta.net.nz/
although I don't advertise that it's available for download, but when
people have asked in the past I have given away copies of all the source
for this (including the server) under the GPL.

* I supply patches to various other projects as I need them eg:
http://coders.meta.net.nz/~perry/patches/ipv6-source-selection-2.6.5.patch
http://coders.meta.net.nz/~perry/patches/gtk+-move-displays.diff

I have some patches I'm working on right now for mozilla to support
server name identification for TLS, and some patches for bittorrent to
support better peer selection, but of which aren't ready for use yet.

I also have a long string of random little projects of things I'm
interested in that have never been released mostly because noone has
shown any interest in them.

I've also written some software in the distant past which is more or
less dead now that you sometimes run into such as ipt, FTNManager etc.

This is by no means exhaustive, but covers most of the either the large
things, or the current things I'm working on.  Also, I occasionally sleep.