University Crest

[wlug] Sudo

Bnonn bnonn@o...
Tue Apr 5 00:09:29 NZST 2005

Hi everyone.

I'm wondering if someone can explain the rationale behind sudo. Ubuntu
uses sudo by default, rather than having normal root access, although
you can use root access if you wish. This is supposedly done with
security in mind, but I don't see how it makes things more secure. It
seems to me that allowing a user to execute commands which require root
privileges, without having the root password, is really dangerous. For
example, logged in as bnonn I can execute:

$ sudo passwd root

And change the root password. This doesn't seem secure to me!

What am I missing?

Regards

Bnonn