University Crest

[wlug] Mailing list etiquette (was Re: Sudo)

Bnonn bnonn@o...
Tue Apr 5 11:41:56 NZST 2005

Daniel Lawson wrote:

> Also, many people read mailing lists in digest form. HTML (and other
> formats) tend to break in digest mode.

I hope you won't take offense, but this seems like the only good reason
to me. Surely, in the year 2005, when the HTML 4 spec has been around
for eight years and has been commonly used to style emails for not much
less time than that, it is reasonable to assume that any mail reader can
parse it?

 From a purist point of view, I agree that emails should be in plain
text. The reason I style them is because I like them to look pretty for
less computer-savvy types who I regularly email, who don't know how to
style things on their end. Additionally, there are some things that
plain text simply won't do, and which I do occasionally use (lists being
one).

I'm not meaning to stir or be a pest; I just don't understand why any
mail client in use today would not support HTML; or why people would
turn it off? Surely, unless you're using OE, security isn't a problem.
People seem to manage browsing the web without issues, and that's a far
less controlled and predictable environment than email.

So, as I asked before with my sudo question, what am I missing? Are
people just pig-headed snobs who like to feel wronged and stand out as
martyrs for the Old School?

Bnonn