University Crest

[wlug] Mailing list etiquette (was Re: Sudo)

Greig McGill greig@h...
Tue Apr 5 11:51:06 NZST 2005

Michael Honeyfield wrote:
  > Not only is there the plain vs html text emails, there is also the
way in which you post. NZOSS tries to use a post at the bottom of each
email, making the thread logical to read, snipping where needed if the
thread becomes too long.

> This is probmatic for those that use Outlook, for example, since outlook will post to the top of the email..
>
> I have a link to mailing list etiquette, but cant find it atm.

Oh no, don't start the top vs bottom posts flame war!
*runs for the hills*. ;)

To address Bnonn (nhrn): Plain text is not just "old skool".  It's the
only way you can be sure that what you send is what other people read.

People spend ages making their emails look "pretty", and are horribly
dismayed when you show them screenshots of their mangled mail being read
in different mail clients.  I know, I did this to prove a point! :)

Text only please.  It's not really up for debate.  I'm willing to
overlook "my mailer is a bit screwed, please don't shoot me" (I have to,
mine just was!), but it's well established that you just don't do that
when posting to lists.  We don't mind if you're not pretty with us,
Bnonn. ;)

G.