University Crest

[wlug] Mailing list etiquette (was Re: Sudo)

John R. McPherson jrm21@c...
Tue Apr 5 11:56:01 NZST 2005

On Tue, 2005-04-05 at 11:41 +1200, Bnonn wrote:

>  From a purist point of view, I agree that emails should be in plain
> text. The reason I style them is because I like them to look pretty for
> less computer-savvy types who I regularly email, who don't know how to
> style things on their end. Additionally, there are some things that
> plain text simply won't do, and which I do occasionally use (lists being
> one).
>
> I'm not meaning to stir or be a pest; I just don't understand why any
> mail client in use today would not support HTML; or why people would
> turn it off? Surely, unless you're using OE, security isn't a problem.
> People seem to manage browsing the web without issues, and that's a far
> less controlled and predictable environment than email.
>
> So, as I asked before with my sudo question, what am I missing?

I often read my email by ssh'ing into the mail server and running a mail
client in the terminal. Obviously, plain text works better for this.
(Yes, people who use console mail clients can set up mailcaps so that
text/html parts are piped to lynx or something, but it's generally
annoying). Plain text is also easier to grep through your old mbox
looking for something.

I'm more likely to completely ignore any html-only email messages if
it's sent to one of my ssh-only accounts.

John